The recklessness of many drivers will in no way quit. That is a fact that transit officials in the united states of america recognize well. And notwithstanding their tries in the past, the dearth of right resources – enough site visitors officials (police) at the roads, among others – means drivers can do pretty tons what they want when now not caught in visitors jams, can velocity at will.
At the time, in 2011, the Consejo de Seguridad Vial (Cosevi) – Road Safety Council – mounted traffic cameras to pick out off speeding drivers at several factors alongside the General Cañas (San Jose – Alajuela), the Florencio del Castillo (San Jose – Cartago) and the Circunvalacion (ring street of San Jose).
Thousands of dashing drivers have been picked off by the cameras. But there has been an problem. The then traffic regulation (Ley de Tansito) required that drivers are in my view surpassed the summons (visitors price ticket). The Ministerio de Obras Publicas y Transportes (MOPT) and its corporation, the COSEVI, got here up with the superb plan of publishing within the neighborhood newspaper all of the tags that had been picked off through the cameras.
Booklets were published. More than 15,000 license plates of dashing drivers have been made public. A small range (some three,000) drivers dutifully paid their ticket, the rest waited. Waited till the complete program turned into canceled for unconstitutionality when the Sala IV (Sala Constitucional) – Constitutional Court – declared the program invalid.
The Traffic Law reform of 2012 pondered sanctions via cameras.
In the length between 2014 and 2015, the COSEVI attempted to sign an address the kingdom telecom, Radiogragica Costarricense (RACSA) to put in and keep as much as 300 cameras. RACSA might also have the obligation to inform drivers.
But RACSA desired a monthly cash fee for each digicam and a percent of the take (the summons). In the negotiations, RACSA dropped the cash charge, however, demanded 70% of the take, leaving the COSEVI with simplest 30% of the fines.
The deal died. So did the traffic digital camera application.
Since, once in a while, the subject of site visitors cameras have arisen. This time it is able to be triumphant. Or it could now not. It all depends.
If the COSEVI is capable of reviving this system, we should see traffic cams pop up once more to a dual carriageway close to you within 18 months.
Edwin Herrera, director of the COSI, explained that on the quit of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, they’re assured that the traffic cams can be in operation.
To pass the venture alongside, this week the COSEVI continued the method with a second ‘pre-offer’ go to with the businesses interested by providing the government with the service.
In the first “pre-offer”, some 20 businesses confirmed an interest in the application. Herrera did no longer say how lots of those businesses made it to the second spherical.
“One of the products of the device is the ‘pleasant picture’ (via cameras), however, that isn’t our important interest,” stated Herrera.
According to the COSEVI authentic, the intention of the program is to display a hundred factors (no longer always 100 cameras) of the Greater Metropolitan Area (GAM).
Among the points that stand out are the Circunvalación, the points in which one-of-a-kind bus lanes perform (such as in San Pedro or Guadalupe).
For Herrera, what’s critical, except lowering rushing at the roads, is the era of records “in order that our technical our bodies (together with the Traffic Police) can efficiently generate solutions to mitigate the behavior.”
This records could be also be used to dispatch traffic officials and other emergency offerings to the place in real-time.
The COSI expects that, as soon as the contract is provided, the process is concluded without the appeals producing delays in getting the program underway and to completion.
Unfortunately, one of the main roadblocks experienced by many authorities institutions, together with the COSEVI, in awarding contracts is appeals, particularly by using dropping organizations claiming irregularities inside the method.